At Wistaston Academy, ‘who our children become’ is equally as important as ‘what they become.’ We are passionate about developing the whole child. For this reason, we have integrated Forest School into our curriculum.
During their time spend in Forest School, activities, children learn to assess, appreciate and take risks, making sensible, informed decisions about how to tackle the activities and experiences they encounter. They are given opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in our Forest School area.
Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and compliments the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
At Forest School all participants are viewed as:
- equal, unique and valuable
- competent to explore & discover
- entitled to experience appropriate risk and challenge
- entitled to choose, and to initiate and drive their own learning and development
- entitled to experience regular success
- entitled to develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
- entitled to develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world