The Pupil Premium is Government funding allocated to children from low income families who are currently known to be eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) and for children who have been looked after for more than 6 months. Any pupils who have been eligible for free school meals (FSM) at any point in the last 6 years also qualify for the Pupil Premium.
The money can be used by the school to help to provide more support to the children, to help develop children’s academic progress, their self-esteem or their social and emotional skills.
For each child registered, the school will receive:
- £1385 for pupils in Reception through to Year 6
- £2410 for pupils who have left local authority care through adoption/special guardianship order/child arrangements order/residence order
- £310 for pupils Reception to Year 6 recorded as Ever 6 service child or in receipt of a child pension from the Ministry of Defence.
Your child or children can get a Free School Meal if you, your partner or the child is receiving one of the benefits below
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA(IB)) - Not JSA (Contribution based)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA(IR)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190.
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
If you have recently become unemployed or have reduced your working hours and have been granted the four week working tax credits run on, then you may be entitled to free school meals. Please call our Schools Team on 0300 123 5012 for advice.
It should be noted that children who receive “education suitable for children who have not attained compulsory school age” will still need to satisfy the additional requirement of “receiving education both before and after the lunch period”, before being eligible to receive free school meals.
In order to apply for Free School Meals please do so online at www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/fsm or by calling
0300 123 5012.
*Please note Cheshire East no longer offer a paper version of the form.